Ivar is in Strasbourg, at Le Shadok already for some weeks now. Esther stayed in Amsterdam. Both are working on this new project. Working together long distance, Amsterdam-Strasbourg has worked out, despite of some hurdles along the way, it landed safe. Esther will join Friday, to be part of the opening on March 8. Whoever is around, feel very much invited!
Shadok, Fabrique du Numérique
25 Presqu’île André Malraux — 67100 Strasbourg
Tél : +33 (0)3 68 98 70 35
more information: Le Shadok
Digital location trackers are part of our daily life, we don’t even pay attention. But what if the location trackers were real people? How would that influence your idea of space, private space and public space?
Droit-de-Suite. The artist couple PolakVanBekkum, invited for the residency and exhibition From Bits to Paper opening March 8, will be behaving like digital location-trackers. They will be moving through Strasbourg and target people who are walking in the streets and follow them anonymously. The pursuits stops when their signal gets lost.
If you feel you’re being followed by them, let them know if you want to stop sharing your location with them.
Droit de Suite – Tribute to Sophie Calle
In 1979 Sophie Calle followed people in Paris as a way to get re-acquainted with the city after an absence of 7 years. After having followed people for a while she got the notion that « observing the behaviour and actions of these strangers provided information with which to construct their identities.”
Sophie Calle probably could not have known that this notion she had now is explored by digital (social) networks on large scale*. So PolakVanBekkum took her ideas back to the streets again and now not tried to get acquainted with the city but tried to feel what tracking nowadays provokes.
Droit de Suite – Tribute to Sophie Calle is a small cinema of shadows and very short stories in which the apparent neutral behaviour of the tracker gets human traits.
We thank the following institutes and persons for their help and advise:
• Filipe Pais, curator
• The incredible team of Le Shadok Fabrique Numerique
• Papier Gâchette, Imprimerie artisanale, édition en Typographie, Sérigraphie, Gravure et lithographie and Pascale Willem and Thérèse Patriot in particular
• Casas, Collectif pour l’accueil des solliciteurs d’asile de Strasbourg
• Mahwish Anwar Butt, voice
• Nele Ysebaert, reseach
• Marja Feltkamp, text editing
• Lucie Guillemin, etching help and advise
• Rento Brattinga, etching and print ideas and advise
• Our fellow residents: Julien Fargetton, Thierry Verbeeck, Martin de Bie, Iwan Twohig, Alexandre Saunier
• The city of Strasbourg and its inhabitants for being the stage of our project